Donald Trump offers ‘help’ to terminally-ill baby Charlie Gard

1
3868

US President Donald Trump has made an eleventh-hour intervention in the case of terminally-ill baby Charlie Gard by offering help to save him.

Speaking on Twitter, Mr Trump said:

It comes as Chris Gard and Connie Yates are spending the last days of their 10-month-old son’s life with him, after being given more time before his life-support is turned off.

Donald Trump offers 'help' to terminally-ill baby Charlie Gard

Charlie Gard, who suffers from a rare genetic condition and has brain damage, is being cared for at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH).

Donald Trump offers 'help' to terminally-ill baby Charlie Gard
Chris Gard and Connie Yates with their son Charlie Gard

The little boy has been at the centre of a lengthy legal battle between his parents, who wanted him to undergo a therapy trial in the US, and specialists at the hospital who said the treatment was experimental and would not help.

Following Mr Trump’s tweet, Theresa May’s official spokesman said that the Prime Ministers thoughts are with Charlie and his family but declined to comment on Mr Trump’s comment.

The Prime Minister’s Official Spokesman said: “This is a very sensitive case. I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to talk about it here at this point other than to say our thoughts are with him and his family.”

On Friday a picture of the couple sleeping on either side of their son in hospital was posted on their Twitter account alongside the hashtags #jesuisCharlieGard #charliesfight #letcharliegohome.

Donald Trump offers 'help' to terminally-ill baby Charlie Gard
Supporters of Chris Gard and Connie Yates case

The couple released an emotional video a day earlier saying they had been told Charlie would die on Friday.

They said they had been denied their final wish to be able to take their son home to die and felt “let down” after losing their legal fight.

The hospital later confirmed it was “putting plans in place for his care”.

Charlie’s plight has touched many people and the family received donations totalling more than £1.3 million to take him to the US for therapy.

Monsignor Vincenzo Paglia of the Vatican’s Pontifical Academy for Life issued a statement saying: “Dear Charlie, dear parents Chris Gard and Connie Yates, we are praying for you and with you.”

He also drew criticism for saying the parents’ wishes should be respected, but that they must also be helped to understand the “unique difficulty of their situation”.

Campaigners have pledged their support to the family on social media using hashtags and blue heart emoticons.

Charlie’s parents, both in their 30s and from Bedfont, west London, had asked European court judges in Strasbourg, France, to consider their case after judges in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in London ruled in favour of GOSH doctors.

But last Tuesday the European Court of Human Rights refused to intervene.

SHARE

1 COMMENT

  1. What do they need to be “helped to understand?” That the are being denied their human right to make the decisions that affect the health and life of their own child? This is so unbelievable. Talk about abuse of power

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here